Taman Ujung Sukasada is one of the most popular Bali Places of Interest located in the village of Seraya in Karangasem regency, its the sister site of Tirta Gangga, also built by the late raja of Karangasem. The complex consists of various large pools and historic structures set against a backdrop of Mount Agung and the eastern shoreline. The site suffered near devastation by showers of hot ash following the eruption of nearby Mount Agung in 1963 and also weathered an earthquake in 1979. Restoration efforts throughout the decades made way to its current splendor and it continues to appeal to both locals and visitors.
Taman Ujung Sukasada complex has a combination of Balinese and European architecture throughout three large ponds connected by long elegant bridges and pathways. The physical features and superb mountainous backdrop to its north, and sea to its southwest, make it a favorite location for pre-wedding and artistic photographers. The name Ujung means extremity in Indonesian and it often makes it easy for locals to describe its location as being one of the island largest historical landmarks and places of interest in the easternmost part of the island.
The whole Taman Ujung Sukasada covers an approximate 10Ha of land located approximately 11km southeast of Karangasem capital of Amlapura. Its foundations were first laid out in 1919, under the rule of then raja I Gusti Bagus Djelantik who was best known by his noble title Agung Anglurah Ketut Karangasem. The complex underwent a series of expansions and pool additions around a single existing pool which served not as a royal bathing place, but instead a site for punishment of accused proponents of black magic or Balinese witchcraft known as pangiwa and leyaks.
This pool was known as Kolam Dirah and was said to have been built during the rule of the previous raja of Karangasem, dating back to 1901. The Dirah pool is located in the southeast corner of the current layout, and takes its name from the witch queen of the Calonarang legend. Two ensuing pools were built adding to the Dirah pool, as well as a number of resting pavilions, the raja meditation quarters, and the Taman Gili floating pavilions. The complex then shifted purpose to serve as a retreat and a place to welcome dignitaries on their visit to the Karangasem kingdom.
In 1921, during the Dutch occupation of Indonesia, Taman Ujung Sukasada became an officially open to the public and became known as a royal water garden complex. Combinations of Balinese and European architecture are evident through its ornate pillars, statues and garden and pool features. And much of its scenic appeal owes to the blend of manmade structures amidst nature panoramas. To the southeast is a hilly range known as Bukit Bisbis and in the south is the namesake Ujung Beach with its blue horizon. An expanse of verdant rice paddies lies to its east, while in the west are residential housings.
To the northwest of Taman Ujung Sukasada is a collection of cottages meant for overnight visitors. A temple known as Pura Manikan can be found within the grounds of Taman Ujung Sukasada. Here a revered water spring is used by devotees and pilgrims. Taman Ujung Sukasada is open to the public. Visitors to the eastern parts of Bali may visit Taman Ujung along their tour itineraries, adding to the memorable and scenic photo opportunities with its unique architectural features. A favorite lookout and high vantage point can be had at one of the warak pavilions built on an eastern hill, accessible from a five-minute drive uphill from the site.
- Bali Rafting and Ubud Tour
- Bali Elephant Ride and Ubud Tour
- Bali ATV Ride and Ubud Tour
- Bali Water Sports and Uluwatu Tour
- Bali Safari Park and Uluwatu Tour
- Bali Horse Riding and Ubud Tour
- Bali Cycling and Ubud Tour
- Bali Trekking and Ubud Tour
- Bali Spa and Uluwatu Tour
- Bali Bird Park and Ubud Tour
- Bali River Tubing and Ubud Tour
- Read More
- Bali Rafting and Spa Packages
- Bali Rafting and Cycling Packages
- Bali Rafting and ATV Ride Packages
- Bali Rafting and Seawalker Packages
- Bali Rafting and Elephant Ride Packages
- Bali Water Sports and Spa Packages
- Bali Horse Riding and Rafting Packages
- Bali Horse Riding and Elephant Ride Packages
- Bali Trekking and Spa Packages
- Bali Cycling and Elephant Ride Packages
- Read More
- Bali Rafting + Cycling + Spa Packages
- Bali Rafting + ATV Ride + Spa Packages
- Bali Rafting + Horse Riding + Spa Packages
- Bali Rafting + Elephant Ride + Spa Packages
- Bali Water Sports + ATV Ride + Spa Packages
- Bali Seawalker + Rafting + Spa Packages
- Bali Seawalker + ATV Ride + Spa Packages
- Bali Seawalker + Elephant Ride + Spa Packages
- Bali Trekking + Rafting + Spa Packages
- Bali Trekking + Elephant Ride + Spa Packages
- Read More