Mas Village is one of the most famous Bali Places of Interest located very close to Ubud and is therefore of a similar landscape but Mas is not as developed in to the tourism market as Ubud and retains a traditional charm and feel. Mas is famous in Bali as being one of the main arts and crafts villages on the island. Where Ubud is the village of the painters, Mas is the village of the carvers where some of the most incredible woodcarvings are produced and have been produced for hundreds of years.
Carvings range from very small pieces that can be perfect gives up to larger ornaments and furniture and on to incredible elaborate pieces that can be as large as 25 square meters and even more such as murals ad great door arches that are traditionally reserved for temples and stately homes of the Balinese Royalty and wealthy. Mas Village is located in the same area as Ubud and therefore it can be included as part of a Ubud holiday and is a wonderful place to drop by at and look round the markets and take in the beauty and quiet that the village Mas entails.
Mas Village is located at around and hour and a half drive from the international Airport and is easily accessible from the south of Bali using the by pass road that leads through Sanur. Mas is located in the highlands and hill that lead up towards the mountains of the central of Bali and has some of the most amazing views of the island with many large and steep rice padi terraces and tropical woodlands that extend down towards the plains of the south, when looking north the huge impressive mountains are more prominent then anywhere else on the island.
This scenery coupled with the incredible culture of the area and low tourist presence makes for an ideal location to take some time out and there are some amazing traditional bungalows that extend into the 5 star class to do this from. The carving of Mas Village first began when the Royal Balinese families moved into Ubud and those who seek work wit them tried to offer to sell them goods. The royals then only started to buy and do business with the very best carvers from Mas and the best painters of Ubud. And soon all of the islands best craftsmen moved to their prospective villages creating subcultures orientated around there talents.
The carvings them selves differ between representations of the Balinese people often as farmers and in situations that the average Balinese worker can relate to, to amazing decorative carvings for the rich and then also some legends, myths representations of aspects of the Balinese religions and the stories that they entail. Today there is much to see and enjoy and many surrounding areas of interest in Mas Village and it can be worth staying to enjoy this area without the crowds on your doorstep. Whether you are an art lover or a couple looking to some time out, Mas Village will provide.
- Bali Rafting and Ubud Tour
- Bali Elephant Ride and Ubud Tour
- Bali ATV Ride and Ubud Tour
- Bali Water Sports and Uluwatu Tour
- Bali Safari Park and Uluwatu Tour
- Bali Horse Riding and Ubud Tour
- Bali Cycling and Ubud Tour
- Bali Trekking and Ubud Tour
- Bali Spa and Uluwatu Tour
- Bali Bird Park and Ubud Tour
- Bali River Tubing and Ubud Tour
- Read More
- Bali Rafting and Spa Packages
- Bali Rafting and Cycling Packages
- Bali Rafting and ATV Ride Packages
- Bali Rafting and Seawalker Packages
- Bali Rafting and Elephant Ride Packages
- Bali Water Sports and Spa Packages
- Bali Horse Riding and Rafting Packages
- Bali Horse Riding and Elephant Ride Packages
- Bali Trekking and Spa Packages
- Bali Cycling and Elephant Ride Packages
- Read More
- Bali Rafting + Cycling + Spa Packages
- Bali Rafting + ATV Ride + Spa Packages
- Bali Rafting + Horse Riding + Spa Packages
- Bali Rafting + Elephant Ride + Spa Packages
- Bali Water Sports + ATV Ride + Spa Packages
- Bali Seawalker + Rafting + Spa Packages
- Bali Seawalker + ATV Ride + Spa Packages
- Bali Seawalker + Elephant Ride + Spa Packages
- Bali Trekking + Rafting + Spa Packages
- Bali Trekking + Elephant Ride + Spa Packages
- Read More