Gunung Kawi Sebatu Temple is one of the most famous Bali Places of Interest and the least visited temple complexes on the island Bali, yet is one of the most beautiful and tranquil. It features verdant gardens around ponds filled with carp and blooming lotuses, and ancient shrines surrounded by crystal clear pools fed by natural springs. The temple complex is located within the highland village of Sebatu in Tegallalang, Gianyar, approximately 12km northeast from the main Ubud hub.
Approaching the temple from the main Jalan Raya Tegallalang road, a small and winding descent approaches Gunung Kawi Sebatu Temple, where you can easily have a bird's eye view of the whole complex and its water gardens. The temple is a refreshing stopover, profuse with water features, and one of the main highlights is the tranquil setting of one of its singular shrines known as the Taman Suci which is next to a large rectangular pond with a dense green hillside as a backdrop - perfect for photographers to grab that picture-postcard shot.
But before reaching the northwest corner where Taman Suci and the main Gunung Kawi Sebatu Temple grounds are located, you will have to don the customary sash around your waist which you can borrow at the ticket booth. A few steps along the cobble path you will instantly enjoy a full water garden, a large pool where golden carp are kept. A figure of the goddess Sarasvati is its centre piece, together with a floating Wantilan hall from which you can feed the fish.
Fish food is sold at a mere IDR 5,000. Beside the pool there are two walled bathing sections that the locals and pilgrims to Gunung Kawi Sebatu Temple actually use for bathing. A sign clearly reads in English and Indonesian that photography in these quarters is forbidden - obviously. Towards the north and after a green lawn are the candi bentar temple gates that lead to the elevated main temple grounds.
You will be able to see a few animals kept within the complex, such as roaming free packs of tame fowl, juvenile deer and rare chicken breeds, which all add life to the otherwise inanimate statues and towering temple structures. Gunung Kawi Sebatu Temple celebrates its piodalan temple anniversary every first full moon of the Balinese calendar, also referred to by the locals as Purnama Sasih Kasa.
It offers a greater opportunity to witness the colorful festivities that take place at the temple, as well as the lively flow of Balinese Hindu pilgrims from all over the island. Gunung Kawi Sebatu Temple is often an included highlight on tour itineraries to the island's culturally rich central region but is not to be confused with another similarly named temple (and slightly more popular), known simply as Gunung Kawi, located in the neighbouring area of Tampaksiring, two kilometers south of the Tirta Empul Temple complex, and only 15 minutes drive up from the Tegallalang rice terraces scenic outlook.
Entrance Ticket : IDR 20,000
- Bali Rafting and Ubud Tour
- Bali Elephant Ride and Ubud Tour
- Bali ATV Ride and Ubud Tour
- Bali Water Sports and Uluwatu Tour
- Bali Safari Park and Uluwatu Tour
- Bali Horse Riding and Ubud Tour
- Bali Cycling and Ubud Tour
- Bali Trekking and Ubud Tour
- Bali Spa and Uluwatu Tour
- Bali Bird Park and Ubud Tour
- Bali River Tubing and Ubud Tour
- Read More
- Bali Rafting and Spa Packages
- Bali Rafting and Cycling Packages
- Bali Rafting and ATV Ride Packages
- Bali Rafting and Seawalker Packages
- Bali Rafting and Elephant Ride Packages
- Bali Water Sports and Spa Packages
- Bali Horse Riding and Rafting Packages
- Bali Horse Riding and Elephant Ride Packages
- Bali Trekking and Spa Packages
- Bali Cycling and Elephant Ride Packages
- Read More
- Bali Rafting + Cycling + Spa Packages
- Bali Rafting + ATV Ride + Spa Packages
- Bali Rafting + Horse Riding + Spa Packages
- Bali Rafting + Elephant Ride + Spa Packages
- Bali Water Sports + ATV Ride + Spa Packages
- Bali Seawalker + Rafting + Spa Packages
- Bali Seawalker + ATV Ride + Spa Packages
- Bali Seawalker + Elephant Ride + Spa Packages
- Bali Trekking + Rafting + Spa Packages
- Bali Trekking + Elephant Ride + Spa Packages
- Read More