Barong And Kris Dance perform as a large lion type creature played by two men and Rangda is the epitome of evil with long fingernails and droopy breasts. Barong is going about his business until he is interrupted by Rangda, ultimately a battle ensues and the Barong followers begin attacking Rangda with their Keris (daggers). Rangda being a witch and is able to use magical powers to turn the daggers against their owners who fall into a trance and try to stab themselves.
In Balinese dance the movement is closely associated with the rhythms produced by the gamelan, a musical ensemble specific from Java and Bali. Multiple levels of articulations in the face, eyes, hands, arms, hips, and feet are coordinated to reflect layers of percussive sounds. Barong And Kris Dance is performed when there is illness or misfortune in the village and therefore intended to dispel this evil forces. People gather together at the mortuary temple, Pura Dalem.
Women are carrying the offerings, at the temple beautiful umbrellas are used. If illness or adversity prevails in the village, the dance is performed. Evil spirits and demons come from the direction of the sea to the village. By replaying the story of the widow Rangda and Barong again the harmony is confirmed in the cosmos because the fight will end undecided. In every part of the island of Bali residents ask the spirit to protect the land and forests. There are different types Barongs. The name of the dance depends on the mask, the Barong, the main character wears.
The Barong is defined in each different region as a different animal :
• A Wild Pig
• A Tiger
• A Snake
• A Dragon
• A Lion
Barong And Kris Dance is usually played by two men, wearing a creepy mask lion. He rattles constantly from his mouth and embodies the good. His opponent is the wicked witch Rangda with frightening eyes and hair. The dance is meant to dispel evil. Theres not a good explanation of the meaning of the word Barong. However Barong has a second name, namely Banaspati Raja (King of the jungle). The classic Barong is the Barong Keket. This does not correspond to any animal. Besides, there are two other forms : Barong Berutuk (young men, wrapped in banana leaves with a mask) and Barung Landung (two giant puppets, performing a dialogue and singing folk songs).
The Story of Barong And Kris Dance :
The story goes that Rangda, the mother of Erlangga, the King of Bali in the tenth century, was condemned by Erlanggas father because she practiced black magic. After she became a widow, she summoned all the evil spirits in the jungle, the leaks and the demons, to come after Erlangga. A fight occurred, but she and her black magic troops were too strong that Erlangga had to ask for the help of Barong. Barong came with Erlangga soldiers and fight ensued.
Rangda casted a spell that made Erlangga soldiers all wanted to kill themselves, pointing their poisoned keris into their own stomachs and chests. Barong casted a spell that turned their body resistant to the sharp keris. At the end, Barong won, and Rangda ran away. About the origin of the Barong people don't agree.
There are several legends of the Barong And Kris Dance, here is the two versions :
1) The first Barong version, where we known a little related to Bedulu, which was probably the capital of Bali. The gods ordered the people to make a Barong to free the island of the plague. On Galungan (the largest Balinese holiday) the Barong had to go around to receive offerings and money.
2) In another story the Barong is connected to the demon Jero Gede Mecaling. This demon came like a Barong with his followers to destroy everything on Bali. A priest said that only a similar Barong with followers could dislodge them. This was done and the Barong could therefore be used to chase sickness and evil forces away.
- Bali Rafting and Ubud Tour
- Bali Elephant Ride and Ubud Tour
- Bali ATV Ride and Ubud Tour
- Bali Water Sports and Uluwatu Tour
- Bali Safari Park and Uluwatu Tour
- Bali Horse Riding and Ubud Tour
- Bali Cycling and Ubud Tour
- Bali Trekking and Ubud Tour
- Bali Spa and Uluwatu Tour
- Bali Bird Park and Ubud Tour
- Bali River Tubing and Ubud Tour
- Read More
- Bali Rafting and Spa Packages
- Bali Rafting and Cycling Packages
- Bali Rafting and ATV Ride Packages
- Bali Rafting and Seawalker Packages
- Bali Rafting and Elephant Ride Packages
- Bali Water Sports and Spa Packages
- Bali Horse Riding and Rafting Packages
- Bali Horse Riding and Elephant Ride Packages
- Bali Trekking and Spa Packages
- Bali Cycling and Elephant Ride Packages
- Read More
- Bali Rafting + Cycling + Spa Packages
- Bali Rafting + ATV Ride + Spa Packages
- Bali Rafting + Horse Riding + Spa Packages
- Bali Rafting + Elephant Ride + Spa Packages
- Bali Water Sports + ATV Ride + Spa Packages
- Bali Seawalker + Rafting + Spa Packages
- Bali Seawalker + ATV Ride + Spa Packages
- Bali Seawalker + Elephant Ride + Spa Packages
- Bali Trekking + Rafting + Spa Packages
- Bali Trekking + Elephant Ride + Spa Packages
- Read More